Acquiring a sponsor licence is a crucial step for UK businesses looking to hire non-UK residents. Meliora Legal, with its extensive experience in immigration law, is committed to providing comprehensive guidance to businesses throughout this process. This article provides a detailed guide on sponsor licences in the UK.
What is a Sponsor Licence?
A sponsor licence allows businesses in the UK to employ foreign nationals from outside the UK. It is a critical component of the UK’s Points-Based Immigration System.
Types of Sponsor Licences
There are primarily two types of sponsor licences:
- Tier 2 – For skilled workers with long-term job offers
- Tier 5 – For temporary workers and young people covered by sanctioned schemes
Each type is further divided into different categories, depending on the nature and duration of the work.
How to Apply for a Sponsor Licence?
- Eligibility: The first step is to check your eligibility. Businesses must not have any unspent criminal convictions for immigration offences or other certain crimes, such as fraud or money laundering.
- Documentation: Prepare the necessary documents. This usually includes proof of registration, ownership details, HR systems, and evidence that you are offering genuine employment.
- Application: Apply online on the Gov.uk website. The application fee varies depending on the size of your business and the type of licence.
- Home Office Review: The Home Office will review your application, which may include a visit to your business premises. This is to ensure you are trustworthy, reliable and capable of carrying out your sponsor duties.
Once you have the licence, there are certain duties you must comply with, such as:
- Co-operating with Home Office checks
- Only assigning certificates of sponsorship to workers when the job is suitable
- Keeping copies of relevant documents for each foreign worker, such as passport and right to work information
- Reporting certain changes, like if a worker doesn’t show up for work
How Can Meliora Legal Help?
At Meliora Legal, we offer tailored support for businesses applying for sponsor licences. We can guide you through the application process, help prepare necessary documentation, and provide advice on fulfilling your sponsorship duties.
Our aim is to help you navigate this process with ease and confidence. Reach out to us for any assistance needed in acquiring and managing a sponsor licence. At Meliora Legal, we are here to support you every step of the way.
Note: The information in this article is correct as of May 2023 and may be subject to change. Please consult a legal professional for personalised advice.